The day after the winner of last time's Aquatech innovation award was announced questions were asked in the Dutch parliament as to why the fish-friendly pump by Pentair Nijhuis was not being more widely used in the Netherlands.
Global media also picked up the story and this impressive innovation received the recognition it deserved.
Expectations are high amongst the organisers of the event that this year’s award winner, the nominees for which have now been announced, will have the same impact.
Ten companies from five categories have made it to the final round, and the overall winner will be announced at the opening ceremony of Aquatech Amsterdam 2013 on 4 November.
Around 60 entries have been assessed for the 2013 award by an independent jury of international specialists in five categories: Water treatment (drinking water, clean water, including point of use), Wastewater treatment, Transport & Storage, Process control technology & process automation and Not yet to market.
Category Wastewater treatment
- The Aecomix™ Reactor from Nijhuis Water Technology: A new anaerobic reactor based on solids retention by Dissolved Air Flotation.
- Anaerobic MBR from X-Flow (Pentair) A new solution to treat high-strength and high-solid waste streams found in industries such as distilleries, dairies and bio-ethanol producers.
Category Water treatment
- Colour Removal Package from X-Flow (Pentair). Developed to retain NOM, often expressed as DOC, UV adsorption or colour, and to do so without the use of coagulation.
- HumVi Liquid from Vitens: Filters and processes fulvic/humic acid from drinking water for reuse as fertilizer in the agricultural sector.
- TrojanUV Solo Lamp from Trojan Technologies: Combines the best features of low pressure and medium pressure lamps to enable high electrical efficiency and reduced lamp count.
Category Transport & Storage
- High Rate Filtration System from RWB Water Services: Treatment system that filters rain water which normally flows directly to a river using an original filter media.
- Sofrel LT - US from LACROIX Sofrel: New GPRS data logger for measuring flow rates, self-monitoring and permanent diagnostics of wastewater networks.
Category Process control technology & process automation
- N2O Wastewater System from Unisense A/S: System to measure dissolved N2O dynamics directly in bulk waters for on-site, real-time monitoring and control.
- Universal fm Measuring System from dinotec Water + Pool Technology: Measurement and control of Cl2, ClO2, O3, H2 and O2.
Category Innovation - not to market yet
Early Biofouling Detection Biosensor from Mekorot National Water: Automated device for the early detection of biofouling potential of RO membranes.
More information about the exhibition can be found at www.aquatechtrade.com